That's right - there will be a Kickstarter campaign for the spy thriller There's Always a Madman: Fight or Flight launching October 9, 2023. Here are all the details so you know exactly what to expect when the Kickstarter launches.
Q: What is the Kickstarter for? Just the game or something else?
A: The Kickstarter is to add a James Bond-esque title track (with lyrics) to the game. There's Always a Madman: Fight or Flight will be released March 15, 2024 whether or not the Kickstarter is funded (I already have the funds I need to make the game), but this is your chance to fund the addition of a great title track, secure your copy of the game and soundtrack before anyone else, and get other Kickstarter-exclusive rewards as detailed below.
Q: What is the funding goal for the campaign?
A: The funding goal for the campaign is $5,000 (i.e. 5,000 US dollars). This money will be used to hire a composer and a singer, as well as cover other costs necessary for the creation of the song.
Q: How long will the Kickstarter last?
A: The Kickstarter campaign will run for 30 days, from October 9, 2023 to November 7, 2023.
Q: Is there any incentive to pledge earlier in the Kickstarter rather than waiting until later?
A: Yes, there will be early bird discounts for those pledging ASAP. These early bird discounts will be in limited supply, so make sure to act fast.
Q: Will the Kickstarter campaign have any stretch goals? If so, what?
A: To reduce complexity for the campaign, there is only a single stretch goal. If the campaign reaches double the funding goal (i.e. $10,000 on a $5,000 funding goal), then the game will conclude by revealing the title of the sequel game (e.g. "Franklin Benjamin will return in ABC" game), in similar fashion to how James Bond movies used to end with "James Bond will return in XYZ" film.
Q: What are the exact rewards tiers? What will each one get me? And how much will each one cost?
A: Here are the reward tiers for the campaign, along with the cost for each one.
- Bystander ($1) - Receive updates about the project. But that's it - you'll be an innocent bystander while others are secret agents saving the world from a madman
- Junior Agent ($8 early bird, $9 regular) - Get a copy of the game so YOU can be the secret agent who saves the world from a madman!
- Seasoned Agent ($11 early bird, $12 regular) - Get a copy of the game AND soundtrack so you can be the secret agent who saves the world AND hear a song to your greatness!
- Licensed Agent ($20 early bird, $25 regular) - Receive a copy of the game, the soundtrack, and get your name in the credits. Everyone will know YOU helped save the world from a madman!
- Determined Agent ($50 regular) - Receive a copy of the game, the soundtrack, get your name in the credits, and move the tracker 1% all by yourself. Some agents just work best alone!
- Feared Agent ($75 early bird, $99 regular) - Receive the game, soundtrack, your name in the credits, and even get the game + soundtrack at least 1 week before the release date. Save the world before others even know it's in danger!
- Legendary Agent ($499, limited to 5 people) - Receive a copy of the game, soundtrack, your name in the credits AS A PRODUCER, exclusive never-before-seen concept artwork of Franklin Benjamin in different poses and suit colors, and get your game + soundtrack at least 2 weeks before the release date. Only the best agent prepares for their mission this early and this thoroughly!
- Madman ($999, limited to 3 people) - Receive a copy of the game, soundtrack, your name in the credits AS AN EXECUTIVE PRODUCER, exclusive never-before-seen concept artwork of Franklin Benjamin in different poses and suit colors, get your game + soundtrack at least 2 weeks before the release date, and HAVE A CHARACTER IN THE GAME NAMED AFTER YOU. Which means you'll be able to say that you met the secret agent Franklin Benjamin. If you back at this price, then you truly are a madman!
Q: Do any of the tiers have a limited number of backers?
A: Yes, the two highest tiers (Madman and Legendary Agent) are restricted to a limited number of backers. The highest tier (Madman) will only have a maximum of 3 backers, while the second-highest tier (Legendary Agent) will only have a maximum of 5 backers. So if you want to have a character in the game named after you (Madman tier) or you want to play the game before anyone else (2 weeks before release, via the Madman or Legendary Agent tiers), then you should act fast to secure one of those limited slots.
In addition, the early bird versions of the lower tiers have a limited number of backers, so whatever tier you want, you should pounce on it quickly.
Q: Will there be any physical rewards? Or is everything digital?
A: All rewards are digital. This reduces the complexity of fulfillment and increases the likelihood of rewards being delivered on time.
Q: Is it possible to see the campaign page before it goes live?
A: Yes, you can use this link https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunnydemeanorgames/theres-always-a-madman-fight-or-flight?ref=dsenu4&token=24dc0302 to view the campaign's pre-launch page in its entirety before it goes live. This is intended to gather feedback from future backers of the campaign, so feel free to leave any feedback you want to share with me. I can't guarantee that I'll act on all feedback received, but if you have any questions or happen to see any errors, please let me know via the feedback tool, of course. On that page, you can also sign up to receive a notification when the campaign goes live.
Q: If I want receive a notification when the Kickstarter campaign goes live without viewing the campaign's entire pre-launch page, is that possible?
A: You can receive a notification when the campaign goes live by signing up here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunnydemeanorgames/theres-always-a-madman-fight-or-flight
Q: Can I try the game before I back it?
A: Yes, there's a free demo on the game's Steam page right here https://store.steampowered.com/app/2390500/Theres_Always_a_Madman_Fight_or_Flight containing 5 of the 11 chapters from the full game. And you don't even have to wait until the Kickstarter campaign to play this demo - the demo is already there at the time of this blog post.
Q: What happens if the funding goal is not met?
A: If the $5,000 goal is not met, There's Always a Madman: Fight or Flight will still be released as scheduled on March 15, 2024 - but it will not have a James Bond-esque title track with vocals. I'm counting on you to secure the funding needed to succeed in this mission, agent!
Q: Is there anything else I can do to help the campaign?
A: Of course! You can wishlist There's Always a Madman: Fight or Flight as well as play the free demo on Steam here https://store.steampowered.com/app/2390500/Theres_Always_a_Madman_Fight_or_Flight but most of all, you can share the Kickstarter on social media, tell you friends to back it, and do whatever you can to get the word out. This is one mission that's anything but secret!